Earlier this year, Walsall Council was awarded £1.8m Department for Education funding to deliver the Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme in 2021.
The programme is aimed at providing healthy food and enriching activities for primary and secondary school aged children who are eligible for benefit-related free school meals over the summer holidays. Children and young people will be able to enjoy fun activities with friends as well as learn and develop new skills.
Registration for the summer programme is open and eligible families are encouraged to register in order to be able to access a wide range of activities for their children. On the 21 July a postcard was sent to every eligible family in Walsall which included a unique code for each child that is needed to register and book activities. For further information visit https://go.walsall.gov.uk/children_and_young_people/haf_signup
Councillor Tim Wilson, Portfolio Holder for Children’s Services, Walsall Council said, “We are proud to be working with over 50 partners to develop the HAF programme to offer a wide variety of opportunities for children and young people in Walsall. There is a lot on offer, ranging from holiday activity camps, multi sports camps, football camps, swimming courses, gymnastics, fishing, music, dance, arts, library sessions, hair and beauty, illustration, art, cooking, drama, gardening, day trips, online sessions, courses where young people can learn a new skill, pick n mix activities plus lots more fun!”
“All activities will include a healthy meal and each child attending activities will also be provided with complimentary food and recipe box containing fresh food, recipes and nutrition information with innovative ideas for them and their family to cook fresh and healthy food together.”
“I encourage eligible families to register and for those that aren’t eligible there is a whole host of other activities you can access with more info available on the Walsall Council website.”
For further information and details of how to sign up can be found on the Holiday Activity and Food programme web pages.
You can contact Walsall Right for Children by email at WR4C@walsall.gov.uk
Notes to Editor
- Follow Walsall Right for Children on Twitter for updates @WalsallRight4Children
- Registration and booking for summer activities is now open website; https://go.walsall.gov.uk/children_and_young_people/haf_signup
- Summer offer: Working with over 50 providers, over the summer Walsall Right for Children will be providing a wide range of opportunities for children and young people who are eligible to engage in a summer offer that is within 3 miles of where they live. The offer is a choice of:
- Traditional holiday face-to-face provision (a holiday club) providing a range of activities throughout the day for children to engage with for at least four hours for four days a week per child, for four weeks in the summer.
- Opportunities to provide children with specific skills (Courses), for example, dance, music, swimming, sports coaching, youth work training, fishing, mentoring.
- A pick and mix offer targeted at young people aged 13 + to provide them with a daily offer of activities they can engage with.
- Provision that is targeted at local communities with high need to ensure we develop relationships and opportunities that sustain beyond the holidays
- Healthy Recipe Boxes, including healthy recipe cards and nutrition information and access to recorded cooking sessions.
- Volunteers: WR4C is recruiting volunteers to help with a range of activities to ensure we can deliver the best holidays to children and young people this summer. Can you help? If you are interested take a look at the website and register your interest. For further information visit: https://go.walsall.gov.uk/children_and_young_people/haf_signup. You can contact Walsall Right for Children by email at WR4C@walsall.gov.uk