To celebrate national Libraries Week, 8-13 October 2018, Walsall Council is launching a new and free online service called PressReader. The service is now available in all of the borough’s libraries. Access it online and you will be able to download over 7000 full colour newspapers and magazines, if you haven’t joined one of our libraries - it’s free to do so. Just take along proof of address to any Walsall library and you will be able to get your card.
Once you’ve got a Walsall Library Card you can access PressReader from a library, or from a PC at home. If you log on via Wi-fi in the library, it will keep you logged in for 29 days after you leave the library – so it’s ideal if you only visit the library once a month. If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can download the PressReader app and then you’re in.
The service gives you great choice and includes all the main British newspapers like the Daily Telegraph, Guardian, Independent, Daily Mail, Mirror and Daily Express. Sunday editions are available too. PressReader allows you to subscribe free of charge to your favourite newspapers and have them delivered directly to your device each day – it’s a great way to save money. Popular regional and local titles are just a login away. There’s also a range of popular magazines which includes Auto Express, BBC Good Food, Red, Grazia, Heat, Men’s Health, Gardeners’ World and many more.
Basically if there’s a newspaper, journal or magazine published anywhere in the world – the chances are you’ll be able to access it on PressReader. Those following the international news stage, or with friends and family overseas - can make a selections from over 100 countries. All the newspapers are identical to the printed editions and issued at the same time as the print versions are published. Therefore it’s very up to date.
How do I learn to use it Press Reader?
There’ll be drop-in sessions at every library where our staff will show you how to log on to Press Reader or access it via your mobile device. Contact your local library for details.
Councillor Garry Perry Portfolio holder for Libraries at Walsall Council said: “Press Reader is a fantastic resource and service that helps give Walsall the 21st Century library service it deserves. I cannot think when I’ve ever heard of an online service that offers so much and costs you so little - except the time it takes to log on. I urge you to get to your local library for some early training so you can enjoy the many benefits.”
Notes to editors
• Libraries Week is 8-13 October find out more here http://www.librariesweek.org.uk/
• PressReader allows you to subscribe free of charge to your favourite newspapers and have them delivered directly to your device each day – it’s a great way to save money.
• It boasts over 2000 full colour newspapers and magazines/
• To sign up all you need is a current Walsall Library card.
• To join a local library – take in proof of your address
• To find out about your local library services here. http://lovelibrarieswalsall.co.uk/
• Walsall Libraries also provide a regular range of activities such as reading groups and knit & natter groups across the week where you can go along, make new friends and pick up or pass on a new skill.
• You’ll also find story times for children and rhyme times for toddlers. Libraries will be having particular events in the course of the week, so check out your local library for details.