Homebreadcrumb separatorRegister Officebreadcrumb separatorMarriages


Marriages image 1
Legal preliminaries to marriage
Before you can marry by a civil ceremony in England or Wales, there are certain formalities that are required by law. You both need to attend the Register Office in the district in which you have had your usual residence for the preceding seven days to inform them of your intention to marry. This is called giving notice. Giving notice means declaring that you are free to marry and requires you to provide certain documents. This notice has to be given up to one year before the day of your wedding. Twenty eight clear days must pass before the Superintendent Registrar’s certificates can be issued and you are able to marry.
Documents to be produced
When you contact the Register Office to book an appointment to give notice of your intention to marry, you will be advised which documents you will need to provide to give evidence of your name, date of birth, nationality and marital status.
Please visit our fees and charges page for details of our fees. Payment can be made by either cash or card. You can also order copy certifcates online by using our Online Certificates page
Immigration control
Marriages Page
You have to follow special procedures if you wish to marry someone subject to immigration control (e.g. staying in the UK on a visa). For example, when you give notice you will need to go together to a specially designated Register Office. For more information about immigration related issues, contact the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Contact us
The Register Office
Walsall Council
Civic Centre
Hatherton Road
Telephone 0300 555 2847
Email walsallregisteroffice@walsall.gov.uk
Opening hours;
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Wednesday 9.30am to 4.30pm
Closed Bank Holidays