This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman investigates complaints of injustice arising from maladministration by local authorities and certain other bodies.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints about most council matters including council tax, housing benefit, housing, planning, education, children’s services, social care, highways, consumer protection, drainage and council tax. The Ombudsman can investigate complaints about how the council has done something. But they cannot question what a council has done simply because someone does not agree with it.

The Ombudsman expects someone making a complaint to give the council concerned an opportunity to deal with a complaint against it first. It is best to use the council's own complaints procedure, Tell Us, or our procedures for complaints about children’s services or social care. If the complainant is not satisfied with the action the council takes, he or she can refer the matter to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

To make an electronic complaint to the Ombudsman, visit the website and use the online form.

There is more information about the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman available on their website. This includes information on how to make a complaint, as well as copies of the Ombudsman’s annual letters to Walsall Council for the past five years, and copies of reports issued by the Ombudsman about complaints relating to our services.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman can be contacted via their helpline 0300 061 0614. The helpline is open Monday to Friday, between 10am and 4pm.