Homebreadcrumb separatorHealth and social carebreadcrumb separatorAdult social carebreadcrumb separatorDo you need help or already receiving our help?breadcrumb separatorHow to get social care services

How to get social care services

Adult Social Care-What we do?
About us
Adult social care is a Directorate at Walsall Council. We are also called social services.
If you would like help or advice from adult social care you should first contact our Initial Response Team on 0300 555 2922. Someone can do this for you, if you give them permission.
What we do
We support people aged 18 years or over with physical disabilities, learning disabilities or mental health issues.
We also support young people who have a disability through a period referred to as ‘transition’ into adulthood. This requires us to work closely with education and children’s services as part of forward planning.
The Care Act 2014 now also requires councils to assess carers needs in a new way and to help them plan and arrange services to meet their eligible needs.
In addition, councils have a duty to assess young carers below the age of 18 years, which also requires us to work closely with children’s services.
Some of the things we can do to help
Give information about support and services available in your community and throughout the borough.
Give advice on welfare benefits and help people who may need assistance managing their own money.
 Explore whether accessing any of our preventative services and ‘Targeted interventions’ would be appropriate to help maximise your independence prior to consideration of a request for a Care & Support  Assessment. This may include providing equipment and providing direct home support for up to 6 weeks to help you be safe in your own home, prepare meals, and keep clean.
If your assessment says you eligible social care needs we can work with you to agree a Care & Support plan which gives you choice and control of the help you need to live independently.
Other Fact Sheets you may find useful:
Fact Sheet 4 Carers - Access to social care services
Fact Sheet 6 Money Management
Fact Sheet 7 Paying for your community based services (CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED)
Fact Sheet 8 Moving into a home
Fact Sheet 10 Paying for residential and nursing care (CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED)
Fact Sheet 12 Cap on care costs
For further information about the content of this fact sheet or any further queries please contact:
Initial Response Team
The Initial Response Team provide the first contact enquiry point for social care and deal with a diverse range of requests for information and support from social care and will provide signposting or direct your enquiry to the appropriate service or team for further assistance.
Tel: 0300 555 2922
Fax 01543 372947
SMS Text 07894 114482
Walsall Community Living Directory
Provides the local community a directory of health and social care support, which includes both universal and community based services.
If you would like information
in another format or language telephone us on
0300 555 2922.