Smoking is still the single greatest cause of illness and premature death in England. It is the single biggest modifiable risk factor for cancer and heart disease and a major causative factor for lung cancer, cardiovascular disease and respiratory diseases, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
If you give up smoking you will see very quickly some of the benefits that stopping smoking brings:
- You could save over £2,000 a year !(based on a 15 a day smoker)
- After 48 hours of stopping smoking the ability to taste and smell is greatly improved
- After 72 hours breathing gets easier and you will have more energy because there will be more oxygen in your blood
- Those around you also benefit from not inhaling second hand smoke. You will not be putting your children, loved ones and pets at risk of the dangers of passive smoking
This is as well as the longer term benefits which stopping smoking will bring, to include reducing your risk of heart attack, lung cancer and other cancers, blindness and wrinkles.
To contact Walsall stop smoking services call: 01922 444044
The support you can expect from a Stop Smoking Service in Walsall:
- The service, delivered by a qualified stop smoking advisor over 4 weeks, provides support to help deal with the day to day challenges associated with stopping smoking for example cravings as well as medication support:
- This will include an assessment of your nicotine dependence
- Support that could be one to one support or group support at a range of times and places to suit you and could include home or work
- Medication support including Nicotine Replacement Therapy
- A measure of your smoking status at 4 weeks
- Further support options via telephone, text, online and via Skype may also be available
- You can self refer, be referred by a healthcare professional or a Stop Smoking Service themselves may recruit to their services
- The service is free to all current tobacco smokers aged 12 years or older who either live in Walsall, are registered with a Walsall GP or work in Walsall.
Last Updated On: 25/06/18