The Beacon is a borough-wide service to support the recovery of adults and young people who misuse drugs or alcohol. The ‘one-stop-shop’ enables people to make positive changes to their lives and supports families and carers affected by other people’s substance misuse.
Drug and alcohol recovery services are provided from the main hub (67 Bradford Street) and also in many other places within Walsall. The adult service works with people over the age of 18, whilst a dedicated young person’s team work with those aged from 10 to 18. Support is available for the friends, families and carers of those affected by substance related issues.
- Support and treatment to manage, reduce and stop alcohol and drug misuse
- Health care clinics at which wellbeing nurses provide health care advice, screening and vaccinations for blood borne viruses, such as Hepatitis C. They also support people with many other health and wellbeing issues
- Needle exchange to ensure safe equipment and provide advice for injecting drug users
- Talking therapies which enable people to build and maintain their motivation, understand their use of drugs and alcohol, and make long-term changes for a healthier and safer life
- Medically-assisted recovery including medical detoxification and alternative medication to reduce people’s use of some illegal drugs
- Assessments and goal setting including a structured, holistic recovery plan that is regularly reviewed and addresses additional support needs around housing, employment and other areas
- Advice, guidance and support including access to recovery coordinators and other key staff on a one-to-one basis and therapeutic and educational group sessions
People who would like to speak to somebody about their alcohol or drug use can contact the service directly by phone, email or by dropping in to their local service. GPs, family members, carers and friends, or any other agency, such as social services, can refer somebody into the service.
The service is free and confidential and available to all Walsall residents, including young people.
When you contact ‘The Beacon’ you’ll be invited to a Welcome Group and assessment appointment as the next step on your recovery journey. Clients are offered an assessment appointment or an invitation to a clinic within five working days of the request being made. Urgent, next working day, appointments can be offered where this is clinically required.
Last Updated – 18/07/2016