Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorHealth and social carebreadcrumb separatorAdult social carebreadcrumb separatorDo you need help or already receiving our help?breadcrumb separatorEquipment to help you live at home

Equipment to help you live at home

What is the Integrated Community Equipment Service (ICES)?

We are a joint team led by NHS Walsall who work in partnership with the Manor Hospital and Walsall Adult Social Care (social services). We have been working together since 2004. The whole team is committed to providing you with the best quality service. If you have any concerns please let any member of staff know immediately and we will do our best to put things right.

What do we do?

The Integrated Community Equipment Service (ICES) loans items of equipment to help you to find safer ways of doing everyday tasks. We can also provide equipment to support you when you leave hospital.  You can borrow items like commodes, bath seats, walking sticks.

To find out if you can get equipment from us at no cost you will need to have an assessment.  This could be from a social worker, an occupational therapist or a nurse. An assessment is when a health or social care worker meets with you to talk about what help you might need.

Equipment can be loaned to you for either long or short term use.

To arrange an assessment by an occupational therapist from social services please contact Social Care Access Centre on 0300 555 2922

What kind of equipment do we offer?

Here is a sample of the type of equipment available to you:

  • Bath seats
  • Hospital beds
  • Bed levers
  • Walking frames
  • Walking sticks
  • Trolleys

Pressure relieving equipment (accessible only via the Tissue Viability Nurse Specialist)

  • Commodes
  • Minor adaptations (grab rails, stair rails, ramps, key safes)
  • Hoists
  • Long Term Wheelchairs (only available via referral from your GP)
  • We cannot sell you any equipment. If you would like to buy any items, we can put you in touch with local organisations that sell equipment.

What do you expect from me?

  • You must not remove the equipment out of the area without the permission of ICES.
  • You must not purposely damage, adapt or change the equipment in any way.
  • You must report any defect or problem with the equipment to ICES as soon as possible as only authorised staff can repair or adapt the equipment. 
  • If you do not need the equipment any more, please return it as soon as possible. We can collect it from you if you wish.  Please call 01922 604960.
  • You must not give or loan the equipment to any other person.
  • In conjunction with our collection service we also operate a recycling process. Any equipment returned in good condition is processed through our decontamination unit and recycled back into our stock – saving money and the environment.

What if I have a complaint?

Please contact Lorraine Scriven, Service Manager on 01922 604960.

For health services, you may also wish to contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01922 618358 or 07884 430931 between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday. Voice mail operates 24 hours a day.

For social care, you may wish to contact the customer care team on 01922 650487 or email


Contact us

Lorraine Scriven ICES Service Manager

Unit 5, Ashmore Lake Way


West Midlands

WV12 4LF

Telephone 01922 604950