Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorTransport and streetsbreadcrumb separatorParking, roads and vehiclesbreadcrumb separatorDropped kerbs - domestic

Dropped kerbs - domestic

It is a contravention of the Highways Act 1980 to regularly drive a vehicle across a kerbed footway/verge to and from a premises without a properly constructed domestic vehicle crossing or ‘dropped crossing’ as it is normally called.
The process for applying for a dropped crossing is broken down into two stages:
Stage 1 - Before a dropped crossing can be installed you will need to obtain permission from Walsall Council who are the Highway Authority for the borough. The online application form to request a dropped crossing is available below and includes a non-refundable fee of £95 to cover the assessment process to determine if the request meets our criteria. You will be advised in writing if you application has been approved / rejected; if refused the reasons will be stated. If you provide further information to justify your application we would be happy to reconsider the decision.
Stage 2 – If and when your application has been approved you will need to apply for a Road Opening Permit to allow work on the dropped crossing to be undertaken. Unless you are using a private contractor your request will be passed to the Council’s Highways Maintenance contractor who will provide a full quotation for the works. The cost of the Road Opening Permit using the Council’s contractor is £75.
To help you complete the online application form an information guide for applicants has been produced that details the criteria and requirements for a new or extended dropped crossing. Please read this document carefully before completing the online application:
In the event of the property being on a classified road, in a conservation area or divided into several dwellings (i.e. flats) then Planning Permission will be required for the creation of the dropped crossing access. If planning permission is required you will need to complete the application form for a dropped crossing but the £95 application fee will be waived as you will need to pay for the planning application.
The online application form to request a new or extended dropped crossing is available below. The associated payment of £95 must be made by phone by contacting our administration team on 01922 652620.
Once we receive your full application and payment we aim to respond fully within 3 weeks
If you wish for a private contractor to undertake the works on the dropped crossing, there is a separate application process that needs to be followed. Please note that the Road Opening Permit for a private contractor is £300 and must include details of their Public Liability insurance cover (minimum £5million for any one claim, the number of claims being unlimited) and their qualifications under the New Road & Street Works Act 1991.
Please note that before a Domestic Vehicle Crossing can be installed a suitable driveway / hardstanding must be installed at your property. This driveway may or may not require planning permission depending upon the type of materials used in its construction, including but not limited to, the levels of permeable surfacing and drainage systems to prevent water discharging onto the highway in contravention of the Highways Act 1980.
For more information regarding this issue please visit to view the Planning portal's guidance on "Paving your Front Garden".
Contact us
Traffic Management and Coordination Team
Engineering and Transportation
2nd floor, Civic Centre
Walsall Council
Darwall Street