Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorBusinessbreadcrumb separatorLicensing and Regulationbreadcrumb separatorAnimal Licensingbreadcrumb separatorDangerous Wild Animals

Dangerous Wild Animals

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 provides that in order to keep certain animals specified in the schedules to the Act, you must first obtain a licence from the Local Authority. An application must be made to the Local Authority who will inspect the premises where the animal is to be kept with a vet to ensure that the conditions, cages, food, etc., are suitable.
The general conditions subject to which the licence is granted includes:
1 . While any animal is being kept under the authority of the licence:
(i) the animal shall be kept by no person other than the person or persons specified
(ii) the animal shall normally be held at such premises as are specified
(iii) the animal shall not be moved from those premises (except in the following circumstances, namely under safe and properly controlled conditions to the premises of a registered veterinary surgeon for treatment purposes only: or to the premises of another licence holder, whose licence permits the keeping of this type of animal)
(iv) the person to whom the licence is granted shall hold a current insurance policy which insures him or any other person entitled to keep the animal under the authority of the licence against liability for any damage which may be caused by the animal, the terms of such policy being satisfactory in the opinion of the authority
2 . The species and number of animals of each species which may be kept under the authority of the licence shall be restricted to those specified.
3 . The person to whom the licence is granted shall, at all reasonable times, make available a copy of the licence to any person entitled to keep any animal under the authority of the licence.
The dangerous wild animals licence currently costs £230 for a licence that lasts for a two year period. Your premises will be inspected by a vet and you will also have to pay extra for this.
How do I apply for the licence?
The conditions of the licence can also be found on the form. You should return the form, together with your remittance for the licence, made payable to Walsall Council at the address below.

Contact Us

Environmental Health
Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 653366