Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorCouncil Taxbreadcrumb separatorHaving trouble paying your Council Tax?

Having trouble paying your Council Tax?


If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, please contact us – there are a number of ways we may be able to help, including working out a payment plan.

We understand that some people may be experiencing difficulties as the impact of coronavirus is felt across the UK. Our aim is to understand your situation and support you.

To support you we may need to understand your finances to offer the right support.


You can download and email us an Income and Expenditure form [PDF], to help us work out the best course of action.

You may be entitled to a Council Tax discount, reduction or exemption, which could reduce the amount you have to pay.


Did you know that council tax is a priority debt?

Some debts are classified as priority debts because there are serious consequences if you do not pay them. Priority debts, such as council tax, take precedence over non priority debts such as credit card payments.

Priority debts include: Council tax, mortgage, rent, electricity bills, secured loans.

Non-priority debts include: Credit cards, hire purchase agreements, catalogue payments, unsecured bank and payday loans.


Non-priority debts can be put on hold until your priority debt, council tax arrears, is cleared. The Financial Conduct Authority’s guidelines state creditors of non-priority debts are required to put the customer’s payment of priority debts before collection of their own.


You can contact your creditors by completing, printing off and sending this letter to them. Please ensure that you send a copy of your income and expenditure together with your Council Tax bill. You can print one from your online account. If you have not got an online account you can register and create one very easily using our Council Tax Online service.

Once you have sent this to your creditors please ensure that you contact us to let us know so we can discuss future Council Tax payments.


Non-payment of Council Tax

If you do not pay your Council Tax, we will take steps to recover the money.


Independent financial advice

If you are experiencing financial hardship and need advice on ways to increase your income, manage your debt and deal with creditors, we strongly recommend you seek advice. The organisations listed below provide confidential advice for free.