On this page:
In February 2021 the prime minister announced the government's roadmap out of lockdown, which began on 8 March. Find out more about the government's phased easing of COVID-19 restrictions.
From 19 July 2021, the legal requirement for people to wear face coverings is no longer in place; however, the government expects and recommends that people do continue to wear face coverings in crowded areas such as public transport.
- The Civic Centre’s First Stop Shop remains closed to the public. Customers can still access council information and systems using online and telephone services.
Household Waste and Recycling Centres
Walsall’s two household waste recycling centres (HWRCs) at Merchants Way, Aldridge, and Fryers Road, Bloxwich remain open seven days a week. Visitors to the Fryers Road and Merchants Way HWRCs are asked to please continue to wear face coverings while on site.
Visitors to the sites are asked to stay alert and wash or sanitise their hands before and after their visit.
For up to date information about current HWRC operations and accepted waste, please see the Household Waste and Recycling Centres page on our website.
For updates about HWRCs and bins, please follow Walsall Council Clean and Green Services on Twitter @CleanGreenTweet or on the Walsall Bins and Things Facebook page.
Household bin collections
Household bin collections (grey and green bins) for Walsall residents will continue as scheduled. Please see the online bin collection dates postcode finder to find out your collection dates. Fortnightly garden waste (brown) bin collections resumed for the summer months in April 2021, depending on your collection day. Use the postcode finder to check when your first collection takes place.
Bulky items collections
The council’s bulky items collections service operates Monday to Friday and collections are limited to up to three items only for a reduced charge of £10. Please call the Clean and Green Services customer contact centre to book a bulky waste collection. For full details, please see the bulky item collections page on our website.
The easing of restrictions under Step 4 of the government roadmap from 19 July 2021 means that when you visit our libraries you will notice a few immediate changes.
- All libraries except the Hub will return to normal opening hours (Darlaston Library remains closed for refurbishment until the autumn).
- The Hub will continue to open Monday to Friday only, 9am-1pm and 2pm-5pm.
- You can now browse at your leisure and take time to look through a book before choosing to take it home.
- Library members can access computer facilities including photocopying and pay with cash.
- Study areas will also re-open and we’ll be offering individual study tables with one person per table.
- You may also bring your own devices to access and use our Wi-Fi facilities.
- The Mobile Library is continuing to run a reduced timetable to allow people to have time to get on and use the library at each stop. Call 01902 654333 for details of mobile library stops near you.
Throughout the pandemic, helping you to stay safe and minimize COVID infection risk has been paramount and this will remain the focus in our libraries over the coming months. We will continue to maintain some COVID- secure arrangements and our staff will all be wearing face coverings unless behind a glass screen. Visitors to the libraries are asked to also wear face coverings. For more information and updates, please visit the Walsall Libraries webpages.
Walsall active living centres
Leisure staff have been working hard to make our facilities ready for you and you will notice some visible changes at all four sites. What remains the same is that we are asking everyone who uses our Active Living Centre facilities to continue to take sensible social distancing precautions. Please hand sanitise when you arrive, leave and regularly during your visit. You will still see our staff wearing face coverings and we ask you to do the same. The following high-standards of COVID-safe control measures remain in place:
- Hand sanitiser will remain in place throughout our facilities
- Disinfectant wipes will still be available for customers to wipe over equipment
- Reception screens will remain in place to protect both staff and customers
- Although not mandatory, customers are politely requested to wear face coverings whilst moving around the facilities
- Advanced bookings will still be in place for many sessions but will be optional rather than mandatory.
From 19 July 2021:
- Sauna and steam facilities have been with capacity initially reduced to 75%. Gym equipment will be returned to original positions and bookings will be available but not mandatory. Group exercise capacities will be increased to 75% initially, and changing rooms will be reinstated with no capacity limits.
- For Swim Academy, instructors will still teach from the poolside and capacities will be increased where assessment of risk allows. Entry points, use of changing rooms and limits on spectators will all return to normal arrangements.
- For the summer holiday programme (from 26 July) advanced online bookings are available for teaching pools, fun sessions, and family swims. Public swims and lane swims will not be bookable at Darlaston and the Gala Baths. For Bloxwich and Oak Park, morning and evening lane swims will be bookable.
For more information please visit the Walsall Leisure page on our website.
New Art Gallery Walsall
Following the lifting of government COVID-19 restrictions from 19 July 2021, much of the COVID-safe measures in place at the New Art Gallery Walsall have been removed.
Walsall Leather Museum
Following the lifting of government COVID-19 restrictions from 19 July 2021, much of the COVID-safe measures in place at the Walsall Leather Museum have been removed.
MOT testing centre open as normal
The council's MOT testing centre has resumed normal operations and will remain open in line with government guidance.
Parks, greenspaces and playgrounds guidance
Our many parks, green spaces, children's playgrounds, outdoor gyms and skate parks across the borough are open for people to access in line with government guidance around staying safe and helping to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Remember to use hand sanitiser before and after using any public equipment and wash your hands well when you get home.
From 19 July 2021, the Arboretum visitor centre café resumed its normal menu with full indoor seating capacity available for customers. The toilets are open and one-way system markers and social distancing signage have been removed. Room bookings for all venues have returned to normal capacity and events and activities will go ahead without restrictions on capacity unless required by COVID risk assessment.
In our parks, signage will be removed from play areas and outdoor gyms and swings will be reinstalled.
The splashpads at Walsall Arboretum, King George V and Willenhall Memorial Park will be opening for summer from Saturday 24 July – Sunday 5 September. Opening hours are 11am – 5pm daily, weather dependent.
For information and updtes about individual programmes such as Health Walks, Nordic Walking and Couch to 5km again gradually, please contact the Healthy Spaces team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Check your nearest green open space by entering your postcode on our interactive map.
More information about Walsall parks, green spaces and outdoor facilities is available on the Walsall Health Spaces section of this website.
Markets across the borough began a phased reopening beginning in Bloxwich on Tuesday 13 April, Willenhall on Wednesday 14 April and Friday 16 April in Walsall. The markets team can be contacted via email@example.com.
Marriage and civil partnership ceremonies
For more information, please see the Marriages and Civil Partnerships pages on our website.
For further information please see the birth registrations pages on our website.
For further information about funerals during COVID-19, please see the Death and Funerals page on our website.
Registering a death
Please visit the Deaths and Funerals pages on our website for information.
Access to cemeteries
Cemetery opening times are available on our website. For more information, please visit the Deaths and Funerals pages on our website.
Pest control services
the council's routine pest control service has been suspended until further notice. If you require specific advice on pests please email your query to EnvironmentalHealth@walsall.gov.uk
For general information about pest control services, please see the pest control pages on our website.
Planning team operations during COVID-19
Due to the current exceptional circumstances and the government’s advice regarding social distancing and essential journeys to work, our planning teams are now working from home. Information about planning team operations during this time can be found on our website on the contact the Planning team page.