We are now consulting on a draft proposal to introduce a new, simplified discount award. This will replace the current benefit assessment. We now invite you to have your say.
On 1 April 2013 a local council tax reduction scheme (LCTRS) replaced council tax benefit. Local authorities developed and administered a new way of calculating the reduction. The scheme has changed in recent years. You can find out more about the current council tax reduction scheme for Walsall.
This proposal seeks to simplify the award of LCTRS for working-age-households with:
- a discount rather than a complicated benefit calculation
- an award based on household income and occupants
- fewer changes in the amount you have to pay because of small changes in your income
- help if you're on a low income to manage your money and pay your council tax
The options for a new council tax reduction scheme
Cabinet considered two options at its meeting on 8 September 2021. They approved the recommendation to consult on option 2.
- Keep the existing scheme without changes
- Banded income scheme based on the Sandwell Model and adapted to fit within costs and principles of the existing scheme where appropriate.
We must consult with local residents and other interested parties before making changes to the scheme.
Council tax reduction for people of pensionable age is set by the Government. These proposals do not affect you, but we would still welcome your thoughts because when calculating yearly council tax charges, the cost of the scheme considered.
The council's preferred option will affect most claimants. Please have your say even if you don't receive council tax reduction.
If you have not received a questionnaire through the post, you can respond online. The closing date is 30 November 2021.
Complete the questionnaire online
Results from the questionnaire along with other information will inform and finalise the final scheme.
Cabinet will receive a report of the findings in December 2021. The report will inform the final decision as part of the council's budget setting process in February 2022.
The findings from the consultation will be available on the website in December 2021.