This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Social care- Charging for social care services

This page explains how we work out what people have to pay for community based services like day care and home care.  Charges for other services like transport and community alarms are also explained.  Contact details are included below if you have any queries.  For more information see our updated charging page
If you would like more information on social care services, please go to our leaflets page.
If you would like information about other services and support available in the community, take a look at our Help in the Community web page.
Local Consultation
For information about our consultation activity please go to our local consultation page.
What are community based services?
Community based services are services that are provided out in the community or in your own home.  This includes:
Care received at home through home care agencies
Extra Care Housing
Attending day centres
Living in an adult placement scheme (‘Shared Lives’)
Individual budgets
Supported Living schemes
Respite Care
We will also charge for services such as community alarms, transport and adaptations to homes.
How do I find out about these services?
To find out about getting these services from social care you first need to contact us on 0300 555 2922.  We will discuss your situation with you and provide you with information, advice and signposting.  If you wish, we can also arrange an assessment of your needs.  We will consider your abilities, disabilities, health and mobility, and talk to you about what help you need.
There is no charge for an assessment or for information.
You can find out more about assessments in our factsheet ‘Getting help from us’.
Will I have to pay towards my care?
Most people who receive social care services will be asked to pay.  
If you have over £23,250 in capital and savings, or if you choose to fund your care yourself, or choose not to disclose your financial circumstances to the council, you will pay the full cost of your care.
We will follow national rules on making sure that you have enough money to live on.  This is called the minimum income guarantee. The minimum income guarantee will ensure that you only pay what you can afford to pay in terms of your disposable income.
We will also take account of your disability related needs.
What if my finances change?
You must tell us about any changes to the benefits you are receiving and any other changes to your finances (income, savings, bills).
What if I cannot afford to pay?
If you feel that you cannot afford to pay please let us know as soon as possible.  We may be able to review your individual circumstances please contact the Financial Administration / Social Care Team and they will help and advise you. We will also ensure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.  
Contact us
For any queries about charges for services please contact:
Financial Administration / Social Care Team
Corporate Finance
3rd Floor Civic Centre Zone 3H
Darwall Street
Telephone 01922 652242

Minicom 01922 652715
To get help finding out what benefits you may be entitled to you can contact:
Welfare Rights Service
First floor, Civic Centre
Darwall Street,
Telephone 01922 652250
Fax: 01922 653999
For any other queries or if you would like this information in another format or language contact us on: 0300 555 2922
Contact us
If you feel that you or someone you know needs social care assistance, please use the following details for all adult social care queries:
·Telephone 0300 555 2922
·Fax 01543 372947
·SMS text 07894 114482
·Address Walsall MBC, Adult Social Care, 3rd Floor, Zone 3D, Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1TP