Acupuncture, ear-piercing, tattooing and electrolysis are licenced by this authority. The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 requires that all persons that carry out acupuncture, tattooing, ear piercing and electrolysis be registered with the local authority. This is ensure premises comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and its Regulations to ensure:
- The structure is sound, and kept in good repair and can be thoroughly cleaned/disinfected.
- Furniture and equipment is capable of being effectively cleaned and maintained.
- Persons are wearing effective protective clothing, have towels, cloths, which are clean.
- Needles and other instruments are disposable or thoroughly sterilised or disinfected, where necessary.
- Waste is disposed of correctly.
The registration fee for the above treatments is currently £130.00 per person.
You can find the form to register here.
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health has published guidance that covers these practices (and similar treatments) called "Body Art, cosmetic therapies and other special treatments" (ISBN 1-902423-80-1). It can be obtained from:
Chadwick House Group Limited
Telephone 020 7928 6006
Credit Card Hotline 020 7827 5882
Fax 020 7827 9930