Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorBenefitsbreadcrumb separatorUniversal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is monthly payment administered by the Department for Works and Pensions.  It replaces the following benefits.

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit


Anyone who is not in an exempt group who needs to make a new claim or has a change in there circumstances that would require them to reapply for any of the above, will need to make a Universal Credit claim.   

A Housing Benefit claim can still be made if

  • You live in specified supported accommodation
  • You live in homeless accommodation provided by the council
  • You have reached the qualifying age for state Pension Credit
  • You receive a Severe Disability Premium in an existing benefit

If you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit and migrate to Universal Credit you may be eligible for a two week transition payment of Housing Benefit.  This is to help you with your rent whilst your Universal Credit payment is processed.  Your housing costs will then be paid via your Universal Credit payment. 

If you find that you are struggling whilst your Universal Credit claim is being processed, you can apply with the Department for Works and Pensions for an advance on your first payment.  The advance can be up to the full amount of your first estimated monthly payment.  You will usually be expected to pay back any advance over a 12 month period. 

If you feel you require budgeting support whilst in receipt of Universal Credit ,you should talk to your job coach who will be able to discuss with you the range of services they can offer to help you manage you money.

More information about Universal Credit can be found on Understanding Universal Credit.

To apply for Universal Credit online click apply for Universal Credit


Contact Us - Benefits