Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorBenefitsbreadcrumb separatorHousing Benefit

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is intended to help people on a low income with the cost of their rent. You can claim Housing Benefit if you are required to pay rent in order to live in your home. Housing Benefit is based on your, and if you have one your partner's income, capital and savings, the amount of rent you pay and your household circumstances.


You can claim if

  • You or your partner are of state pension credit age
  • You currently have a Severe Disability Premium in a benefit you receive
  • You live in specified supported accommodation
  • You have been placed in temporary homeless accommodation by the council


You cannot get Housing Benefit if

  • You are eligible for Universal Credit
  • You/your partner have over £16,000 in capital or savings (unless you are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit)
  • You pay rent to a close relative who lives with you
  • You own your home  


Claiming Housing Benefit

The quickest and easiest way to make a claim is to use our online application form apply here.  To find out how you can request a claim form please contact us.


Reporting Changes

To find out more about the type of change you need to report and how you can best contact us please visit our Reporting changes of circumstances page.