Budget Consultation 2018/19–2021/22 is now closed.
The Budget Consultation 2018/19–2021/22 findings report has been finalised and will be presented for Cabinet consideration on Wednesday 13 February 2019.
The report is available to view here.
Consultation was open from 25 October 2018 to 21 December 2018.
Walsall Council, like all councils, is legally required to set a balanced budget and whilst the council has a medium term financial strategy it annual reviews and refreshes the budget following consideration of how to allocate available money. The setting of the budget involves difficult decisions and takes into account national and local priorities as well as the needs, wants and aspirations of 270,000 residents.
Since 2010 when the Government set out its initial plans to reduce the overall Government deficit grant funding to the council has continually reduced and is set to continue to reduce at least until 2019/20.
Walsall signed up to the government's multi-year settlement to 2019/20 to aid our budget planning, but there remains considerable uncertainty in government funding post 2019/20.
The council had reduced its spending by £173m since 2010 and needs to save in the region of a further £20m to be able to balance the budget in 2019/20. In considering future resource allocation, funding for development of services will need to be met from the redirection of existing resources, reducing existing spend and the identification of new or revised income sources. The council will need to do things differently, do different things and in some cases stop doing things that are not in line with corporate priorities or local need.
Budget Consultation 2018/19–2021/22 — have your say
The Draft Revenue Budget and Capital Programme 2018/19–2021/22 report can be viewed in full here.
The council is seeking the views of Walsall borough residents on the draft budget options approved by Cabinet on 24 October 2018. Draft budget options have been published by directorate and can be navigated to using the left hand menu of this page.
The following policy proposals are open for consultation:
Adult Social Care
Resources and Transformation
Economy and Environment
Public consultation will be open from Thursday 25 October 2018 to Friday 21 December 2018.
You can have your say on the draft budget options in the following ways:
- Online consultation — links to online consultations can be found alongside the relevant policy proposals on the directorate budget options pages on the left hand menu of this page. Please ensure you make a note of the reference number of the policy proposal/s you wish to comment on. Hardcopy, paper versions of questionnaires will be available in all Walsall Council libraries, Active Living centres and the First Stop Shop from Monday 29 October 2018. Large print versions of the questionnaire can be provided on request by emailing email@example.com
- Email your feedback about the draft policy proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org , please ensure you include the reference number of the policy proposal you are commenting on.
- Post your feedback to: Budget Consultation, Walsall Council Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall WS1 1TP. Please ensure you include the reference number of the policy proposal you are commenting on.
Timeline: Setting the budget 2018/19–2021/22
The budget setting timetable of key reporting dates are as follows:
- Review of the options by overview and scrutiny committees from 25 October to 26 November 2018, and feedback to Cabinet on 12 December 2018 along with the draft government core grant settlement.
- Stakeholder consultation between 25 October and 21 December 2018.
- Receipt of the final government core grant settlement late January / early February 2019.
- Recommendation of the final budget — in light of consultation, equality impact assessments and the final settlement — by Cabinet on 13 February 2019.
- Council to set the final budget and council tax levels on 28 February 2019.
For any enquiries about Budget Consultation 2018/19–2021/22, please email email@example.com or call 01922 650000.