Homebreadcrumb separatorAbout the Councilbreadcrumb separatorCouncil Taxbreadcrumb separatorWhat happens if I do not pay my Council tax billbreadcrumb separatorReminder/Final Notice

Reminder/Final Notice


Why has a reminder been sent to me?

Our records show you have not made your monthly payments as shown on your Council Tax bill, this may include late payments or payments below the required amount. To check if your payment has been credited to your account, please register for an online account at Council Tax online. If the payment has not been credited to your account you should contact us. Payments are recorded on your account when we actually receive the money. You must allow time for payments you make to reach us.

To pay the amount due now you can make a payment online on the Council Tax Online Payment page. You can also call the Council’s Automated Telephone Payments line on 0300 555 2852 and make a payment using your debit or credit card. Both of these methods of payment are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Direct Debit is the safest and easiest way to pay your Council Tax. You can set one up now easily by contacting us or registering for an online account.


I have received a Reminder Notice. Can I pay by Direct Debit?

You need to pay the outstanding amount shown on the Reminder Notice first, then you can set one up by contacting us or registering for and online account at Council Tax online.


I have received a Reminder but my instalment has already been paid

If you have paid the full amount shown on the Reminder Notice and your payment has crossed with the reminder and now been credited to your account, no further action will be taken. To check if your payment has been credited to your account, please contact us.


I have received a Final Notice for my Council Tax asking for the full year’s charge. Can I just bring my instalments up to date instead?

No. Once a Final Notice has been issued you have lost your right to pay Council Tax by instalments and the whole outstanding balance is now due. If you are unable to pay the balance in full as instructed on the final notice then you should contact us as soon as possible to discuss an alternative payment arrangement.


I am unable to make a Council Tax payment, what should I do?

You should contact us immediately.


What happens if I have an outstanding claim for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes known as Council Tax Benefit)?

You still need to pay your current instalments while your claim is being considered. This is because your claim may not be successful.


I have an outstanding Appeal against my Council Tax Band with the Valuation Office or awaiting a reduction by the Council. Do I still need to pay?

You cannot withhold payment of your Council Tax while an appeal is outstanding, whether it is against the existing Council Tax Band or the award of discounts or exemptions. If your appeal is successful your account will be adjusted and any overpaid Council Tax will be refunded to you. For queries relating to your Council Tax Band please visit the Valuation Office Agency for further information.